The Huawei Honor 5X, known for its impressive build quality and decent performance, has been a popular choice among smartphone users. How to Install CyanogenMod 13 on Huawei Honor 5X without Rooting.However, like any other Android device, it comes with its fair share of limitations, especially when it comes to customization and updates. If you’re looking to breathe new life into your Huawei Honor 5X and experience the latest features and improvements, CyanogenMod 13 (CM13) might be the answer. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the process of installing CyanogenMod 13 on your Huawei Honor 5X without the need for rooting.
Disclaimer: Modifying your device’s software may void your warranty and carries certain risks. Proceed at your own discretion, and make sure to follow the instructions carefully.
What is CyanogenMod 13?
CyanogenMod, often referred to as simply CM, was a popular open-source operating system for Android devices. It was known for its enhanced performance, customization options, and regular updates. While CyanogenMod itself has been discontinued, its legacy lives on through various custom ROMs, and one of the most popular among them is CyanogenMod 13.
CyanogenMod 13 is based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow and offers a stock Android experience with a plethora of customization options and improvements over the stock firmware. Installing CM13 on your Huawei Honor 5X can provide you with a fresh and updated Android experience.
Before you embark on the journey of installing CyanogenMod 13 on your Huawei Honor 5X, you’ll need to gather a few things:
- A Computer: You’ll need a Windows, macOS, or Linux computer to download the necessary files and tools.
- USB Cable: A USB cable to connect your Huawei Honor 5X to your computer.
- A MicroSD Card: To transfer the necessary files to your phone.
- Huawei USB Drivers: Make sure you have the necessary USB drivers installed on your computer. You can download them from the official Huawei website.
- Unlock Bootloader: To install a custom ROM like CyanogenMod, you’ll need to unlock your Huawei Honor 5X’s bootloader. This process may vary depending on the manufacturer and model, so check Huawei’s official website for specific instructions.
- TWRP Custom Recovery: You’ll need to install a custom recovery like TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) on your device. This will allow you to flash custom ROMs like CyanogenMod. Download TWRP for your Huawei Honor 5X from the official TWRP website.
- CyanogenMod 13 ROM: Download the latest stable version of CyanogenMod 13 for your Huawei Honor 5X from a trusted source. You can find official builds on websites like XDA Developers or the LineageOS website.
- GApps (Google Apps): Since CyanogenMod 13 does not include Google Apps by default, you’ll need to download a compatible GApps package from OpenGApps or a similar source.
Now that you’ve gathered all the necessary prerequisites, let’s proceed with the installation process of CyanogenMod 13 on your Huawei Honor 5X:
Step 1: Backup Your Data
Before making any significant changes to your device’s software, it’s essential to back up your data. This includes photos, videos, contacts, and any other important information stored on your device. You can use built-in backup options or third-party apps for this purpose.
Step 2: Unlock the Bootloader
As mentioned earlier, unlocking the bootloader is a crucial step in the custom ROM installation process. Be sure to follow Huawei’s official instructions to unlock the bootloader for your specific device.
Step 3: Install TWRP Recovery
- Connect your Huawei Honor 5X to your computer using a USB cable.
- Boot your device into fastboot mode. You can do this by turning off your phone and then holding the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously until the fastboot logo appears.
- On your computer, open a command prompt or terminal window and navigate to the folder where you downloaded the TWRP recovery image.
- Flash TWRP recovery by entering the following command:Copy code
fastboot flash recovery twrp.imgReplace
twrp.imgwith the actual filename of the TWRP recovery image you downloaded.
- Once the process is complete, reboot your device into recovery mode by entering:
fastboot reboot recovery
Step 4: Wipe Data
In TWRP recovery, perform a full data wipe to ensure a clean installation of CyanogenMod 13:
- Select “Wipe” from the TWRP main menu.
- Swipe to Factory Reset to erase all data on your device.
Step 5: Flash CyanogenMod 13
- Return to the main TWRP menu and select “Install.”
- Navigate to the location where you saved the CyanogenMod 13 ROM zip file and select it.
- Swipe to confirm the flash.
Step 6: Flash GApps
To have access to Google services, you’ll need to flash the GApps package:
- In TWRP, go back to the main menu and select “Install.”
- Find the GApps zip file you downloaded earlier and select it.
- Swipe to confirm the flash.
Step 7: Reboot
Once both CyanogenMod 13 and GApps have been successfully flashed, you can reboot your Huawei Honor 5X:
- From the TWRP main menu, select “Reboot.”
- Choose “System” to boot into your newly installed CyanogenMod 13 ROM.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1: What is the advantage of installing CyanogenMod 13 on my Huawei Honor 5X?
A1: CyanogenMod 13 offers a stock Android experience with enhanced customization options and regular updates, allowing you to breathe new life into your device and stay up to date with the latest Android features.
Q2: Does installing CyanogenMod 13 void my warranty?
A2: Yes, modifying your device’s software, including unlocking the bootloader and installing custom ROMs, may void your warranty. Proceed with caution and check your device’s warranty terms.
Q3: Can I revert to the stock firmware after installing CyanogenMod 13?
A3: Yes, you can revert to the stock firmware by downloading the official Huawei firmware for your device and flashing it using TWRP recovery. Keep in mind that this process may also void your warranty.
Q4: Is it necessary to root my Huawei Honor 5X to install CyanogenMod 13?
A4: No, you can install CyanogenMod 13 on your Huawei Honor 5X without rooting. Rooting is a separate process that grants superuser access to your device’s system files and is not required for custom ROM installation.
Q5: Will I lose my data during the installation process?
A5: Yes, it’s essential to back up your data before proceeding, as the installation process involves wiping the device’s data. Be sure to perform a full backup to avoid data loss.
Installing CyanogenMod 13 on your Huawei Honor 5X can breathe new life into your device and provide you with a customized, up-to-date Android experience. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can enjoy the benefits of CyanogenMod without the need for rooting your device. Remember to proceed with caution, back up your data, and follow the instructions carefully to ensure a successful installation. With CyanogenMod 13, you can unlock the full potential of your Huawei Honor 5X and enjoy a more personalized and feature-rich smartphone experience.